Tuesday 24 March 2009

I think we should see other people

a conversation of late late last night:
Me: What do you think of pewter?
D: Pewter? Huh?
Me: You know, the colour
D: Pewter isn’t a colour. It’s a dish
Me: No, it’s a colour – the dishes were made from pewter the metal. The colour is the colour
of the metal

{insert lengthy and slightly surreal conversation about what is and isn’t a colour – a highlight was “if you can say “pass me the *insert colour*” then it isn’t a colour – like you can’t say “pass me the blue” therefore blue is a colour. You can say “pass me the pewter” therefore pewter isn’t a colour”. Right Dave. what about orange?}

D: So, if pewter was a colour, what colour would it be?
Me: A dark metallic grey
D: Right.
Me: So, I’m really liking pewter and aubergine at the moment
D: What colour is aubergine?
Me: A dark purple
D: So why not just say dark purple?
Me: Well, because there are lots of shades of dark purple. I mean aubergine
D: But aubergines come in different shades of purple
Me: No. No, all aubergines are aubergine coloured
D: Now you’re just being racist.

Me: Night Dave.
This morning at work I get an email from Dave - he obviously spent the morning on dictionary.com and has pretty soundly proven (proved?) me wrong:

pewter
Noun
1. an alloy containing tin, lead, and sometimes copper and antimony
2. dishes or kitchen utensils made from pewter [Old French peaultre]
aubergine [oh-bur-zheen]
Noun
Brit the dark purple fruit of a tropical plant, cooked and eaten as a vegetable [French, from Arabic al-badindjan]

black adj. black·er, black·est
1. Being of the color black, producing or reflecting comparatively little light and having no predominant hue.

white n.
1. The achromatic color of maximum lightness; the color of objects that reflect nearly all light of all visible wavelengths; the complement or antagonist of black, the other extreme of the neutral gray series. Although typically a response to maximum stimulation of the retina, the perception of white appears always to depend on contrast.
oh. oh just whatever Dave.

9 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

ha ha ha ha - funny

Amanda B. Young said...

OMG I've so been there. Our wedding colors were "wine" (a rich burgundy) and something I called "dahlia" -- an orangey-peachlike pink. My husband called them "red" and "pink" the whole time. Boys!

Anonymous said...

This just made my day and I needed it! THANKS!

Unknown said...

Hahahahahaha you shouldn't make people laugh at their desks at work, it makes coworkers think I'm nuts! I'm having such flashbacks to flatting with you two right now...

Anonymous said...

That is the best thing I have read so far this week and I can SO imagine it happening like I was there. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Jen said...

Oh yay, another NZ'er!! i've just read your little intro and i organise and run events for a living here in little ol nz. Not weddings but a huge mixture of different things. Have you started a business?

Melina said...

Hahaha! That's brilliant ... don't take it personally Ju, all boys think like that.
Stupid boys :)

Anonymous said...

Men!!

the un-bride said...

Ha! Your conversations with Boy sound very, very familiar.